Welcome to Life Be Crrr-azy, my Writer Roni rants and ramblings about the craziness of life. Because, really, wouldn't you rather laugh than cry?!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Small town, big fun!

   I made it down to Republic's Fall Festival last night and had a blast -- from the past.  It was just like stepping back into my high school years:  walking around the Kiwanis field (although I loved it when they used to close down Main Street and the festival filled the whole downtown, anyone remember that?) and chatting with friends, smelling the funnel cakes and corn dogs, hearing the bingo numbers called out over the loud speaker, watching a few two-steppers get jiggy on the dance floor to the music of a local band, hearing the thunk-splash of the dunk tank, seeing the kids lined up to ride the Octopus and the Zipper.  The only thing missing was the cake walk.  What's a Fall Festival without snippets of music blaring from a boom box while you hop from cement block to block, trying not to fall off and hoping when the music stops to land on that magical number that will win you a homemade cherry pie, German chocolate cake, or plate of no-bake cookies so sweet your teeth will ache?  For someone that doesn't bake, having my number called out was like winning the confection lottery, and whatever I won usually got eaten before I ever made it home.  Please, oh please, bring back the cake walk next year!
   Other than the disappointment of no cake walk, it was a night of many blessings.  Mama and I played bingo, and she won two games and $31.  I spent my very last Queen candidate ticket on one last game of bingo and finally started getting some of my numbers covered up.  Then I was down to needing one number -- "come on I-29" was the mantra playing over and over in my head -- and the man actually called I-29.  I "woo-hooed" and "bingoed" so loud, I didn't hear another person shout "bingo" too.  So we split the pot.  Still, $23 of winnings in my pocket felt pretty darn good.  Mama and I had delicious, greasy funnel cakes and a nice visit.  I got to see my ex-husband and his family and catch up on their lives.  It felt good to know he is doing well after us not speaking for a long time.  As I drove away, I watched the rainbow of carnival lights against the black sky in my rearview mirror, heard the distant squeals of laughter, and remembered how wonderful it feels to be part of a small town, where people really know and care about each other and take time to share their lives.
   It's not too late to enjoy some small town big fun for yourself.  Just head down to the Republic Fall Festival tonight and have a crrr-azy blast!      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your comment anonymously. All comments are appreciated!